Sunday, December 30, 2007

My 2008 "Bucket List"


Well, 2007 is nearing the end. This year flew by at times, yet moved in slow motion at others. I had my one-year-relocation-cost-commitment with my company looming over me. When 7-31-07 arrived I celebrated. No more anxiety over having to pay back my company the cost of relocating me here if things didn't pan out with the job. I served my time, and I was finally free.
I grew a lot this past year. I mean, I think we all grow and evolve constantly as individuals, but for me, this past year especially. Not to toot my own horn, but a dear friend recently complimented me by saying that I am "brave" and that I just keep "trying things out until they fit." I moved to this new city solely for a job. I didn't know a single person living here. I had a handful of names and email addresses to contact once I arrived, but honestly, I took a giant leap of faith. I'm such a creature whom thrives from being surrounded by my family and my most favorite people. I am stimulated by my surroundings and the environment. Truthfully, moving to a new city for my career was out of character. It's never been about my career. That actually ranks low on my priority list.
I gained more perspective this year, and am so thankful for my many blessings. I finally let go of someone that I thought would always be a part of my life. I came to terms with the reality of our situation, and I healed on my own, even without closure. I even managed to find a new crush, and feel something good again. I am thankful for the experience and from the lesson learned. I also had the best birthday party of my life. My 30-60 party that I shared with my father. It was a kick'n good time, celebrating with my most favorite people all in one place. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful family and amazing friendships. On a more somber note, I lost my nana this year. I know we all lose loved ones, and grandparents naturally pass on first, but she was my last living grandparent. It almost felt like an end of an era.
Why is it that at the end of every year we stop and evaluate where we are, who we are, and what we're hopeful for in the new year ahead? We make new years resolutions. We reach out to old friends if we've allowed time and distance to get in the way. We try to mend relationships and form bridges to let people in.
I've decided not to make a resolution this year. In past, I've tried to exercise more frequently, eat healthier, be a better pen-pal, see my parents more often, stop drinking soda, and vowel to take more trips. I feel like I am currently doing these things so instead I'm making a "Bucket List." I stole that idea from a movie that's being released soon. I'm creating a list of things I want to do and experience in 2008.
With that, here's my Bucket List:
1. Take trips because I want to (not b/c I feel obligated). Maybe even go to Europe (I haven't been back since 1999)
2. Work on my photography portfolio
3. Move to a new city because I want to live there (not b/c of the job opportunity)
4. Fall in love with the right person
5. Write a business plan for my card company (stop buying cards and start creating my own line)
6. Listen to NPR more frequently
7. Read more intelligent books, read less fluff
8. Visit my beloved city, San Francisco, more frequently no matter how much it costs
9. Become a better cook and learn my mother's secret Italian recipes. Make my pasta noodles from scratch.
10. Write and actually submit my work
11. Pay off my Visa credit card bill
12. Volunteer at an Assisted Living facility
Every new year is a gift and a chance to do better. Here's to "trying things out until they fit" in 2008!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wy does your blog profil say you are in accounting in Afghanistan? Im so confused!